Monday, December 31, 2012

Day 85 - Cape Cod to East Greenwich

The Cod

I kept saying I was going to the Cod (instead of The Cape) so in my mind that's what it will always be. It was not how I was expecting it to be at all. For some reason I expected Cape Cod to be fancy pants but it's not! Or, at least it does a good impression of not being too fancy, I'm sure in reality it's ridiculously expensive to own a place there but when you're there it just seems rural and a bit provincial, I really liked it.

I saw the ocean a lot which always makes me happy and I chatted to a nice Park Ranger which always makes me happy too. A lot of the coast of the Cod is protected, it's a National Seashore which means it comes under the National Park Service somehow. I also saw some beautiful lighthouses.


 


 




As you can kind of see these lighthouses are no longer on the coast - they've been moved to protect them

Wouldn't you love a house on the Cod?

You could have a giant Santa

Or a Portaloo!


Tiniest fire station!

This museum is now a library. However, when they converted it they realised they couldn't take out the boat from the second floor...

... so it's still there, surrounded by books!


Children read the funniest things


This helps with your ship-spotting!


Snowstorm

I had been warned by several people about the snowstorm coming my way but I didn't really know what to expect. Even the local radio broadcast was interrupted for a snowstorm warning which was a little worrying considering I had no choice but to drive through it.

Most of the way from the Cod to Rhode Island was ok but towards the end it got very snowy and I was seriously worried about crashing into other cars, a couple of times I came pretty close. Fortunately Annie had warned me that people around here pride themselves on driving crazy so I was a little prepared.

At one point it was snowing so hard that even though I was going at quite a pace it looked like I was not moving at all because of the snow coming towards me - very strange feeling.

Annie's family

I'm staying with Annie's family in East Greenwich in Rhode Island tonight. So far I've had a yummy home cooked dinner (ready and waiting for me as I walked in the door!) and a beer with her brothers in the barn -now I'm watching an old movie with her parents and the dogs and it's blissful proper family time.

No comments:

Post a Comment