Monday, December 10, 2012

Day 66 - St Augustine

The oldest city in America

Well, there's always more to it - it's actually the oldest continuously occupied European-established city and port in the continental US (seems to me non-continental USA lays claim to all the really good stuff)

I've had a great day here. I went for a walk around the fort - upsettingly it's a National Monument so I would have been able to go in with my annual pass, oh well.




Then I walked around the old town and it really is pretty - I could see myself staying here a lot longer.
















Pirate Haus

The hostel I'm staying in is really nice and friendly - I have met four really interesting people

Denis - an old boy who cooks everyone cinnamon pancakes for breakfast
Caroline - a nice lady who has lived in Manhattan, Italy, the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico (where she had a shoot a guy in the kneecap!)
Jesse - an 18 year old from Massachusetts who is cycling from Georgia to Key West - really nice kid
Annie - a 23 year old girl with a shaved head who walked here from Massachusetts (randomly from the same town that Jesse was from) She is walking around the border of the US to pray for peace. She's been going for 8 months and plans to go for five years altogether. This is her blog (you can also donate to her trip)

http://anniesoutpost.blogspot.com





2 comments:

  1. The 1965 Florida license plate commemorated the 400th anniversary of the founding of St. Augustine (seen here).

    So it's almost time for the 450th anniversary! It probably won't make the license plate, though, now that they no longer make a new plate every year.

    ReplyDelete