Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Day 68 - St Augustine to Charleston

I finally dragged myself away from St. Augustine!

Even though I really loved it there, I had to get going in order to make it to Washington in time (have I mentioned this already?) I said goodbye to some really nice people and a really cool hostel:







Annie (the walker) decided to come with me even though I'm going in the direction she just walked from because she didn't get a chance to see Savannah and Charleston on her way down. She'll get a bus or try to get a ride down to Florida in a few days.

Savannah

I had been told months ago how beautiful and grand Savannah was and that I must go there. So I did. Actually, it turned out to be ok but nothing to write home about (though I am, clearly!) We went to the famous Savannah Candy Kitchen where we watched them make taffy and they gave us free samples.





It was raining a lot so it probably wasn't the best day to visit but I was not sad to move on after lunch.

Charleston

Savannah's "sister city" Charleston could not be more different, it is a gorgeous little town. We arrived when it was already dark so I've only been able to see the insides of people's homes (I do love doing that, especially around Christmas) but from what I've gathered Charleston is much more like I was expecting Savannah to be than Savannah actually was. A bit more like New Orleans than Croydon.




As we were walking around town we saw a big lit up church with beautiful stained glass windows which were shining in all sorts of bright colours. We went in to ask if it was ok to visit and they told us there was an opera being performed there in 40 minutes and that it was free! So we went for a quick bite to eat and then came back to watch the Nativity-themed opera, which was great.



The houses in Charleston are absolutely beautiful and I hope to get a chance to walk around tomorrow in the daylight.

Annie

It's been great travelling with someone who is doing something far more interesting, brave, exciting and generally awe-inspiring than what I am doing (which is really none of those things) It means that when people see my California licence plate and are impressed that I've driven this far (which makes me very embarrassed) I can point at her and say "She WALKED here!!" and the attention quickly shifts. Nice. I'll be sorry to let her go!



She's been telling me about her trip so far and it's pretty amazing what she's doing - mostly sleeping outdoors, for a start. Surprisingly though, she has hardly had to use any of her own money in the last eight months because people keep feeding her, taking her into their homes and giving her money. As she was walking down a road a motorcycle went past her, stopped, then came back to pull up by her. No sooner had she started to worry that the guy might want trouble, he reached in his jacket and handed her $50, saying "God told me to give this to you" and rode off.

At least five different complete strangers have all given her $100 each. I've seen people give her food and coffee. Most odd.

She's very nice though and what she's doing is pretty cool so I guess that works.

Other things I've seen today


Can you see the oysters beyond the rocks?


This is Jermaine, he'd been catching crabs

These crabs

BLUE crabs!



No comments:

Post a Comment